Gloria Graham, AKBD
Brendan Donovan Furniture & Cabinet Co.
3685 Investment Lane, West Palm Beach, Florida
Phone (561)254-7736,
kitchensforliving@gmail.com

Friday, May 14, 2010

SAVORING INDIA



Back when I started this Kitchens for Living blog I mentioned that occasionally we may venture into parts unknown, well this is one of those times.  If you know me you know that I have a not-so-secret love affair with India.  The only way I can attempt to describe it is in a series of words that will hopefully paint a picture with a sense of what I mean.  India is rich, poor, ancient, colorful, vibrant, heart wrenching, sensuous, brutal, intense, beautiful, sacred, succulent and unexpected.  I'm sure I've forgotten a few along the way.  One of the ways I like to remember my visit to India is in my kitchen.  My husband and I have become big fans of Indian cuisine.  Although far from experts, we love to dabble.  One of my fav books on the subject is Savoring India: Recipes and Reflections on Indian Cooking  by  Julie Sahni.  The amazing photos in this book truly capture the essence of what I discovered in this magical place.  The following recipe, found in this book,  has become a family favorite.  Here it is with my commentary.  Try it out and let me know how you like it,  but I promise you're gonna love it!      


Jheenga Masala (Shrimp in spiced cream sauce)
I serve with Basmati rice, naan (Indian flat bread) and chutney


1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 fresh hot green chiles such as serrano, thinly sliced (remove seeds if you don't want it too hot)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala (mixture of spices you can make yourself but I buy from Indian grocer)
1 teaspoon minced garlic 
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1lb medium shrimp raw (I buy peeled and deveined but also devein the bottom and I remove tails)
1/2 cup light cream (half and half)
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro


These quantities are straight from the book but I tweak the amounts to taste.  I'm usually more liberal with the spices.  This is supposed to serve 6 but I think it's more like 4.  Comment and let me know how you like it.  What changes did you make?

1 comment:

  1. Gloria...thanks for following my blog. Love yours too. And that book by Julie Sahni is one of my fav books too!

    ReplyDelete